Spaghetti for breakfast! Crazy rite? Well its the normal thing here. It not made with hamburger though, and it isn’t as saucy but its breakfast. Oh and cold showers. But trust me its so refreshing. All the water lines are cold. And the other day I was washing dishes, and Pat told me to leave them and come have supper... and I proceeded to tell her that the water would get cold if I left it. Well that gave everyone a good laugh. It was pretty funny. Yesterday there was a cockroach in my shower. It was very eventful! Oh and big spiders, I’ve seen one! Supposedly all you do is whack them at a side angle and their legs break, then you squish them. I didn’t stay long enough to find out. Just saw one look at it and called for the boys. Ha-ha.
Some other interesting Haitian facts are that is it considered the rudest thing ever to whistle in front of your elders, or to call someone a dog. “chein.” It sure put my whistling to an end. Hmm what else, they are amazing with their hair-dos. Really very creative. Supposedly even if a Haitian doesn’t have much they keep what they have very clean. For example, Melinda was telling me that even the people who live in huts sweep their houses out as often as possible and keep their houses very clean. Its awesome.
Not to mention the wash house they are starting to build. I will try and put up some pictures. I have never seen anything like it. They take rocks and mould the base, then pound the dirt down and then lay more rocks on top. Then use rebar and home made cement and homemade cement blocks to make the walls and roof. We aren’t at the roof or walls, but the foundation is almost there and they started just short of a week ago. You would be impressed at how hard they work in such crazy heat. Its amazing to watch the progress.
Speaking of progress, the twins are doing great, eating and sleeping and pooping like crazy. And growing lots too. I will be sure to get some of their pictures up to when i have some more free time. It dawned on me tonight that i will be around to see them turn two months old. Can you imagine how much they will have changed by then!?
The house has been extra loud lately, lots of babies and toddlers breaking teeth and lots of bigger kids tired of the crying teething kids. Ha-ha. There have been lots of outdoor activities and games, provided by Lori. It amazes me how she can keep them all occupied and how much they adore here. Although some times their action show nothing of the sort.... but she calmly explains why they need a timeout, and they usually listen, for the most part.
And Minni-june. Man can she whip up a meal like no body’s business! She comes from a large family and knows how to make a little bit go a long way. And she teaches school. That in itself is a task i would think twice about. Trying to get those kids to sit and watch a movie is hard enough, let alone read a book or learn the alphabet. I admire her ability to be stern and compassionate at the same time. I like to think of her as an older sister. And she is awesome to talk to!
Other than all this my life is settling into routine. And in my spare time I find myself thinking about my future. Wondering what it will be like in 5, 10 years from now. Then i stop myself and say, “slow down, don’t you think you should figure out next year first?” So if i could ask for prayer on the decisions i am going to have to make here soon, please pray for wisdom and God’s plan to unfold. And i could definitely use a little patience and peace of mind. I am definitely a planner and not knowing what is coming next is a little nerve-rattling.
Anywho, i love you all and hope to talk to you soon!
Muah!
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well sweety- you were long winded today!. Love all the details...You said you might get your hair corn braided? I bet that would be so easy to take care of. Remember when I used to do that to you for camp? so that you wouldn't have to brush your hair for that week? Many people are following your blog. We'll try to get your videos and slideshow on there as quickly as we can figure out how to do it.
Love you and Keep loving God- we are praying for you and the little ones. You think you like planning ahead- imagine me not knowing what you want to do in the fall?!!...
Love MOM
Hi its mack you are saposed to spell dog like this in french (Chien) Big Grama is here and she is saying hi and gives you a BIG HUGE hug Th ank you for the letter you sent LOVE GRAMA AND MACK KISS KISS HA HA
Post a Comment